global interpreter lock not working as it should

Martin v. Löwis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Tue Jul 30 04:55:41 EDT 2002

Just <just at xs4all.nl> writes:

> I can see it on MacOSX, three different Linux boxes and a FreeBSD box.
> Various Python versions. The output is always sequential.

As Aahz explains, that can indeed happen (and, depending on the thread
implementation of your operating system, might be even likely to
happen).  It is in no way "wrong". Please replace the for statement
with a while 1: loop - even on systems where my script produces
sequential output, I find that the operating system will eventually
switch threads.

Regards,
Martin