j2ee and python and evil competitors

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Thu Jul 11 03:33:44 EDT 2002

"Steve Menard" <steve.menard at polyester.com> writes:

> "Jacek Generowicz" <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch> wrote in message
> news:tyf7kk4jauz.fsf at pcitapi22.cern.ch...
> >
> > I'll second that. I was about to have a look, and then saw the doc
> > extension. I take doc extensions to mean "This document is intended
> > for Microsoft customers only". I am not a Microsoft customer.
>
> See, this is something I really don't understand. I will agree that PDF or
> html would have been a better choice, but not everyone can generate PDF ya
> know.

I would say that Generating PDF is, in general, not significantly more
difficult than decoding .doc ... if you can be bothered. (I have to
have a high degree of confidence that the content of the .doc will be
important to me, before I can be bothered to decode it.)

> With this kind of attitude, we'll forever be regarded as the
> extremists who won't listen to anything ....

There is a lot of information out there which vies for my
attention. Extensions such as .doc, .ppt etc. offer a handy first
order filter in my process of selecting what I should bother to
dowload and read. I freely offer this information to people who might
want me to read something they send me or to which they provide
URLs. They are just as free to ignore the information I provide, as I
am to ignore the information they provide.

If this seems extreme, well, so be it.