Does Linux have a unified way of accessing databases? Windows has ADO...

DeepBleu DeepBleu at DeepBleu.org
Tue Jan 15 12:58:19 EST 2002

> > "Max Adams" <RubberDucky703 at hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:%4H08.543$Tu1.112303 at news1.cableinet.net...
> > > Does Linux have a unified way of accessing databases? Windows has ADO
but
> > > does Linux have any sort of mechanism for unified database access
> > > independant of which database is being accessed?

Maybe it is the wording of your post that may proof to be a hindrance of
your understanding of the issues at hand.
There is no unified way of accessing databases anywhere.  ADO uses ODBC to
my knowledge and it so happens that vendors provide ODBC drivers for their
databases.  As far as I know, there is an ODBC manager for Unix and maybe
for Linux.
Also, it depends on what you want to do.  If you are using Linux and Python
and want to access an Oracle database, there is no sense in using an ODBC
DSN.  You use an Oracle driver as is the case with DCOracle2.
The question to ask:  What database do you want to use with Python?  Then
research the issue using a search engine like Google making intelligent
queries to receive some resourceful pages.
DeepBleu