Python 2.2 properties

Mark McEahern marklists at mceahern.com
Tue Jan 15 12:43:56 EST 2002

Thomas Heller wrote:
> You must derive your class from object:
> class foo(object):

I ran into this same problem.  It took me a while to figure out that I had
to derive from object.

The documentation here:

  http://www.amk.ca/python/2.2/index.html#SECTION000340000000000000000

does not seem explicit enough on this point.  I'm not sure how best to
explicitly state it, perhaps right after this sentence:

"property is a new built-in type that packages up three functions that get,
set, or delete an attribute, and a docstring."

add something like:

"Note, to use property, your class must derive from object."

There's probably a better way of stating this--or maybe it's just me and
this is obvious to everyone.

Cheers,

// mark