quick n' dirty measurement of compression and byte-compilation

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Jan 1 19:02:32 EST 2002

    zooko> I'd like to repeat my suggestion to developers: transmit straight
    zooko> .py files and do byte-compilation on the end-user's computer,
    zooko> either in the installation script or simply at runtime.  (Also:
    zooko> use bzip2.)

As others have reported you shouldn't distribute .py[co] files.  They have
never been part of the defined public interface.  Even if distributing
.py[co] files made your distribution substantially smaller than distributing
.py files you'd still be asking for trouble.  Network bandwidth is clearly a
secondary issue in this case.

--
Skip Montanaro (skip at pobox.com - http://www.mojam.com/)