OT again... is there an IMAP expert in the house?

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Mon Jan 28 18:17:03 EST 2002

"Brad Clements" <bkc at Murkworks.com> wrote ...
> "Donn Cave" <donn at u.washington.edu> wrote ...
>
> > | Nope.  Both POP3 and IMAP4 specifically disallow concurrent access,
> > | I believe.  My belief is sufficiently certain, in this case, that
> > | I'll not invest the time to verify it in the standards.
>
> Nope, Imap allows concurrent access. Not sure about POP3.

Nope, POP3 specifically locks the mailbox during interactions, and uses an
offline model which would not allow multiple users.

> Anyway, Mercury/32 IMAP server certainly allows multiple connections to
the
> same "inbox" or folder. But if you delete, you must expunge.

The more I see about the requirements, the less I think that email is an
appropriate medium to satisfy them. It seems to be a requirement for low
costs that drives the project in that direction.

not-that-there's-anything-wrong-with-low-costs-ly y'rs  - steve
--
Consulting, training, speaking: http://www.holdenweb.com/
Python Web Programming: http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/