PEP proposal for user.py (win32 part)

Gillou nospam at bigfoot.com
Tue Jan 22 09:31:35 EST 2002

Alan,

Thanks for your opinion. As a reminder, "user.py" is intended to run a
script ".pythonrc.py" in the global namespace that's personal to the user.
I did not find a better location in Win32 boxes than the personal user
folder "...\My Documents"
IMHO that's the best equivalent to Unix 's $HOME.
Since this folder's path depends on (a) the Win32 version and (b) the Win32
localization (it's "...\Mes Documents" in French localized Win32), I did not
find other place than the registry to search for this path.
Note that the module _winreg is in the standard packages list since Python
2.0.

Cheers

--Gilles