why is os.getcwd() printing the path in all caps on win2k?

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Thu Jan 24 01:20:35 EST 2002

sameer_ at email.com (sameer) wrote:

>I believe it's a DOS compatibility issue.  i was planning on writing
>an installation script that would move the contents of the current
>directory to another directory.  I guess I'll have to find another
>way.  Looks like in dos mode, any case sensitivity is lost and
>everything is capitalized.
>
>C:\>cd programs
>
>C:\PROGRAMS>cd python
>
>C:\PROGRAMS\PYTHON>python

Are you, perhaps, running command.com instead of cmd.exe?  That would
produce the results you see.  Command.com is slower and stupider than
cmd.exe; it is primarily a waste of disk space in Win2K.  ALWAYS use
cmd.exe as your command prompt.

In any case, however, it is irrelevant.  C:\PROGRAMS and C:\Programs and
c:\PrOgRaMs are all the same thing to Windows.  Any of them will work.
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.