open new window problem of webbrowser under win32

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Fri Jan 4 11:03:15 EST 2002

"newgene" <newgene at bigfoot.com> wrote ...
> when I run the following code(activepython 2.1,windows 2000):
>
>     import webbrowser
>
>     webbrowser.open("http://my.yahoo.com")
>     webbrowser.open("http://www.msn.com",new=1)
>
> It does not open two browser windows,but open one single window with
> the latter URL. Whatever I change the value of "new" or use
> "open_new", it's still the same thing.
>
> I don't know how about under UNIX. Maybe it's a problem under win32?

Looks like it's a generic Windoze problem: happens to me with ActivePython
2.0 under Win98 with IE 5.5 as well. However, the documentation does say:

"""open_new (url)
Open url in a new window of the default browser, if possible, otherwise,
open url in the only browser window.
"""

so you should be prepared for the answer "that's not possible".

regards
 Steve
--
http://www.holdenweb.com/