Validating a secure certificate?

Erno Kuusela erno-news at erno.iki.fi
Sat Jan 19 07:53:43 EST 2002

In article <3k6h4ugjqgeshjmb8anmoj84q00feml23c at 4ax.com>, Sherman
<noemail at none.com> writes:

| Is there a way to validate the secure certificate of a remote site? Or
| possibly just grab the certificate information? I haven't been able to
| find much on this, so any help would be appreciated.

assuming you are talking about x509 certificates, you need the
certificate authority's key in order to check it - you see which
certificate authority it is signed by, and whether the signature
checks out. eg most web browsers ship with keys of some common
certificate authorities (or is it only verisign now?).

  -- erno