Closed-source considered harmful (was: JavaScript considered harmful)

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.pp.ru
Wed Jan 9 09:36:08 EST 2002

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 02:26:16PM +0000, Brett g Porter wrote:
> "Christopher Barber" <cbarber at curl.com> wrote in message
> news:psoitacmnxf.fsf at jekyll.curl.com...
> > Cliff Wells <logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net> writes:
> >
> > > But since we're starting a list:
> > > 3.  Cars are inherently open-source: anyone with knowledge and tools can
> > > work on them.
> >
> > This is not entirely true.  You still are stuck with having to buy parts
> from
> > someone.  Many auto parts can only be obtained from the manufacturer.  How
> > open is that?
> ...and even worse, most modern cars aren't the kind of things that you can
> poke around with and fix. Every problem that I've had (other than the
> screaming obvious low-tech oil change type stuff) has required the
> replacement of a monolithic module. I've read that there's a growing
> aftermarket EPROM scene to modify your engine's shift points.
>
> ...unless Oleg includes EPROM burners as automotive tools.

   While this is certainly a problem, it is lesser problemm, because, after
all, there are many competing car manufacturers. But unfortunately
compatibility issue created the world where there is The One OS Maker, and
I am afraid they are driving us to the world where there will be The One
Software Maker.
   I am against such a monopoly, do you?

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru