Dynamic Programming Environments

Terry Reedy tjreedy at home.com
Fri Jan 4 11:36:14 EST 2002

"Jeremy Lowery" <jslowery at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:YSdZ7.365347$er5.9107140 at e3500-atl2.usenetserver.com...
> WARNING: Below is design, implementation, practicality ramble.
>
> I've recently been working on a MUD Engine in python, and I've
noticed a few
> (woa too few) people on here that are also interested in MUD
development

I am interested, but currently only passively.

> - "Class Definitions" would need to be changed at runtime and their
> "instances" would have to dynamically reflect this change all
throughout the
> system.

This is the premise of your ramble, but I do not really get the
problem and the need for the convoluted solution (way to much to read
in detail).  What needs to be changed at runtime and why?

The class of an instance can be changed by reassigning to .__class__.
The attributes of a class can also be changed/augmented by assignment
(a somewhat unusual feature of python), which instantly affects all
instances of that class.

>You could get really messy with this if you wanted to

Which to my my you did, but is it really necessary?

Terry J. Reedy

PS. Yes, I have played in MUDs, both textual and graphical.