Autocoding project proposal.

phil hunt philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Jan 23 18:02:10 EST 2002

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002 18:07:40 GMT, Timothy Rue <threeseas at earthlink.net> wrote:
>On 21-Jan-02 07:59:29 phil hunt <philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>>On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 02:01:27 GMT, Timothy Rue <threeseas at earthlink.net>
>>wrote:
>>>This posting is to introduce or suggest an open source software project
>>>to produce a core tool that will allow an autocoding environment to be
>>>developed, allowed to evolve in the open source software community and
>>>spirit of. I believe we can overcome many of the problems that proprietary
>>>autocoding systems inherently have (not to mention that existing
>>>autocoding systems appear to be field/domain specific limited and that
>>>it may be possible to beat this too.)
>
>>When you say autocoding, what do you mean?
>
>Programming is the act of automating the use of complexity that is made up
>of simpler things. Done so that such complexity is easier to use. As such
>the complexity of programming itself can be automated.

Isn't that what high(er) level languages do? For example assmebler is
a higher level than machine code, C is higher level than assembler,
C++ is higher level than C, and Python is higher level than C++.

Are you proposing something that is higher level than Python?

>There is something of an inherent resistance to the project by those who
>would feel threatened by such a tool.

I don't feel threatened, I just don't understand you.

Are you talking about a tool that produces as output, source code in some
language? (Which is what, for example, my Parrot tool does).

>The project I present is a tool that allows easier automation. It's more a
>general automation tool than specific to autocoding,

Can you give some examples of each?

> but inherently it
>can be used to create an auocoding environment that even the typical user
>could use.

I am currently writing a program that encrypts and decrypts email
messages. Would your tool conceivably help me with that?

--
===== Philip Hunt ===== philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk =====
One OS to rule them all, one OS to find them,