Misc/Makefile.pre.in missing in Python 2.2: why?

Marco Beri kramb64 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 20 17:25:33 EST 2002

Dear Pythoneers,
I have a C extension that I built for python 2.1 (it worked
perfectly).
To build it I used the Misc/Makefile.pre.in file.
Now I installed python 2.2 and that file is deleted (as you can see at
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/python/python/dist/src/Misc/Attic/Makefile.pre.in).
Reading the current 2.2 documentation at
http://www.python.org/doc/current/ext/building-on-unix.html#building-on-unix
I see that Makefile.pre.in isn't obsolete, even more: it's necessary!
Now we have two options:
a) the documentation is obsolete;
b) the file has been erroneously deleted.
If a) is the correct option, how can I use Distutils to build a C
extensions?
If b) is the correct option, please, someone fix it! :-))
Thanks.
Ciao.
Marco.
P.S. Currently I'm using the 2.1 version ignoring the following
message:
Lonwork.py:15: RuntimeWarning: Python C API version mismatch for
module cLonwork: This Python has API version 1011, module cLonwork has
version 1010.