Python is just as good as C++ for real apps

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Fri Jan 25 22:36:14 EST 2002

In article <d0845u844213smjc0f70l2kl0ceso34c57 at 4ax.com>, Courageous wrote:

>> (*p) + 1  adds one to it.
>
> No it doesn't! (*p) acquires the integer value of whatever is
> sitting at the address referred to by p and creates a
> temporary; this temporary is an int. You're adding 1 to the
> temporary. You're certainly not adding anything at all to
> either p, or the region in memory region in memory which it
> refers to.

So?

int i;
The expression "i + 1" doesn't change the value of i either.

I'll try one more time:

int *p,i;  // both i and *p are ints

i = 7;     // i has the value 7;
*p = 7;    // *p has the value 7;

// *p acts like an "int" variable in those statements, right?

(*p) + 1;  // expression with value 8;
i + 1;     // expression with value 8;

// You have to add parens, but (*p) seems to act like an int in that
// expression also.
//
// Neither one changes the value of a region of memory, both
// return one more that the last value saved.

(*p) += 1;  // increments an integer value by one
  i  += 1;  // increments an integer value by one

// *p is now equal to 8
//  i is now equal to 8

// (*p) and i both seem to behave the same there also.

I still claim that with the declartion:

int i;
int *p;

That both i and (*p) are ints.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I was born in a
                                  at               Hostess Cupcake factory