Moving Python between machines

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Thu Jan 3 13:19:19 EST 2002

writeson at earthlink.net (Doug Farrell) writes:

> I'd like to move that installation over to another Solaris 2.6 Sparc
> machine so I can use Python2.2 over there, how can I do this easily?

(recursively), to <destprefix>/bin/python and
<destprefix>/lib/python<version>.

It would be good if prefix and destprefix are the same, but they do
not need to be. If they are different, <prefix>/lib/python<version>
should not exist on the target machine.

Also, if you use extension modules, I'd recommend to compile them into
the Python binary (using Modules/Setup). If they use further libraries
(like tclxy.so), I also recommend to link those libraries statically;
this, together, will reduce the dependencies of the installation on
additional shared libraries (which you otherwise would need to copy as
well).

HTH,
Martin