New Time format

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 25 14:56:41 EST 2002

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002 23:56:35 +0000
Dale Strickland-Clark wrote:

> Martin von Loewis <loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de> wrote:
> The problem is I have to look it up EVERY time I use it. It's too
> fussy for the simple case where I want a basic date/time.
>
> >I'd question that people can memorize the meaning of a number in 0..4
> >to identitify a format much better than they can memoryize strftime
> >format specifiers. I'm pretty sure that people can *read*
>
> But I can find a number between 0..4 by trial and error in a few
> moments.

Why not make a module isotime.py:

import time

class __isotime:
    def __init__(self):
        self.isotime = [
            "%H:%M:%S",
            "%Y-%m-%d",
            "%Y-%b-%S",
            "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S",
            "%Y-%b-%d %H:%M:%S",
        ]
    def __call__(self, thetime, format):
        return time.strftime(self.isotime[format], thetime)

isotime = __isotime()

Then you can reuse that wherever you like:

>>> from isotime import isotime
>>> import time
>>> t = time.localtime(time.time())
>>> print isotime(t, 0)
11:55:09

Does this basically do what you want?  Personally, I don't have a problem
with the existing library, but to each his own.

--
Cliff Wells
Software Engineer