Does Linux have a unified way of accessing databases? Windows has ADO...

DeepBleu DeepBleu at DeepBleu.org
Thu Jan 17 11:24:24 EST 2002

"Harry George" <hgg9140 at cola2.ca.boeing.com> wrote in message
news:xqxelkp2dll.fsf at cola2.ca.boeing.com...
> Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it> writes:

> > > I hope Alex hasn't had all his verbosity knocked out of him by the
book-
> > > writing process.  :(
> >
> > Others of my recent posts should assuage THAT fear -- still, a simple,
> > direct yes-no question still admits of yes-no answers.
> >
> > > There's nothing to stop you using (for example) the python database
api on
> > > unix.
> >
> > Of course not -- that's cross-platform in the operating-system sense,
> > but language-dependent.  ODBC, which another poster proposed in the
> > "unified database access" role, is language-independent.
> >
> > But both are strictly connected to the _relational_ model, which ADO
(which
> > the original poster singled out as an example of what he meant)
*isn't* --
> > ADO (the whole "Unified Database Access" architecture, actually)
supports
> > alternative organizations, such as hierarchical and "cubes" (a la OLAP).

Would you trust an OLAP you are working on to be handled via a 3rd party
mechanism.  I would not!
First of all, you need a Provider to work with ADO.  I have not seen this so
far.  This remains a speculative and theoretical support that no one I know
of is willing to turst.
All these unified etc... etc.... ideas are coming from a company that had
lost track of its own acronyms.
DeepBleu