Java vs Python Benchmarks: Java is faster

dman dsh8290 at rit.edu
Thu Jan 31 20:45:25 EST 2002

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 01:47:42PM -0800, Bill Tate wrote:
| Bryan <bryan at eevolved.com> wrote in message news:<Ldc68.67$8u4.28600 at wagner.videotron.net>...
| > For what it is worth to people, I have taken the liberty of benchmarking
| > the new Java SDK ( 1.4.0 ) against Python 2.1 and 2.2. The tests originate
| > from:
| >
| > http://www.twistedmatrix.com/users/glyph/rant/python-vs-java.html
|
| Bryan,
| Very interesting stuff.  Do you have numbers for Java 1.3.x - just
| curious to see if there were major gains between 1.3 and 1.4?

I've heard that Reflection in Java is many times faster in 1.4 than
any earlier version.  On the Jython list a while back someone posted
PyStone results showing jython on jdk 1.4 (beta something or other)
beat out cpython by a clear margin.

-D

--

The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold,
but the Lord tests the heart.