Python and UTF-8

Wolfgang Strobl ws at mystrobl.de
Thu Jan 3 17:15:13 EST 2002

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002 20:41:24 +0100, Matthias Huening
<matthias.huening at t-online.de> wrote :

>Martin von Loewis <loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de> wrote in
>news:j4itajb9jx.fsf at informatik.hu-berlin.de:
>
>>> How to use regular expressions with Unicode?
>>
>> Just use the re module: it fully supports Unicode.
>>

>Not really...
>At least the combination of re.I and re.U fails on texts in German.
>But that again could be a result of the combination of 'locale' and
>Unicode, right?

S.I doesn't honor the locale settings. From the manual:

IGNORECASE
Perform case-insensitive matching; expressions like [A-Z] will match
lowercase letters, too. This is not affected by the current locale

--
Thank you for observing all safety precautions