Building Python 2.2 - curses module test failure

Nick Chalk nick at leviathan.uklinux.net
Wed Jan 30 09:30:57 EST 2002

Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net> wrote:
> Nick Chalk <nick at leviathan.uklinux.net> writes:
>> I've asked for _curses and _curses_panel to be
>> built as shared objects in Modules/Setup.local,

> Why not let setup.py do it?  Not likely to be
> relavent, but...

No particularly good reason. I just scanned
Modules/Setup, and picked out the ones I knew I
wanted.

>> and indeed there are no problems at compile time.
>> However, the curses part of the test-suite fails -
>> a segfault, leaving the terminal in an unusable
>> state.

> Wierd.  Let me try:

> $ ../../build/python regrtest.py -u curses test_curses.py
> test_curses
> test test_curses crashed -- _curses.error: curs_set() returned ERR
> 1 test failed:
>    test_curses
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)

> Holy crap!
> Definitely seem to be freeing things we shouldn't.
> I'm guessing noone's run test_curses in a while.
> Are you using 2.2, or stuff from CVS?

I'm using the basic 2.2 tarball from
ftp.python.org.

I ran gdb on python, whilst it ran the minimal
curses script. Confusingly, the pointer malloc
complains about seems to be correct - it's
returned by PyCursesWindow_New(), and then passed
to PyCursesWindow_Dealloc(). There doesn't appear
to be any corruption of the structure it points
to, either. You may want to take this with a pinch
of salt, though, as I'm a novice at both Python
and gdb. :-)

Thanks for the reply, and the confirmation that
I'm not doing something silly.

Nick.

--
Nick Chalk ........................ Radio Designer
 Confidence is failing to understand the problem.