Another Language Change for Debate

Nils Kassube nika at kassube.de
Sun Jan 13 12:29:19 EST 2002

Michael Chermside <mcherm at destiny.com> writes:

> Okay, for some reason this newsgroup tends to get WAY more suggestions
> for language changes than that for any other language that I know. I

Yes, "suggestions" because the Common Lisp folks simply write a
macro to improve their language and don't whi^H^H^Hhave to ask
someone else to do it :-)

> So in method declarations where we normally permit only an identifier
> for the method-name, we now allow also identifier '.' identifier. The
> identifier before the dot simply becomes the first parameter of the
> method. I don't think it would be good style to use this for

This looks like change to fit someones personal taste for syntax
without providing a substantial improvement over the previous way.

I don't think it's worth the effort to change the Python interpreter,
Jython, the Python parsers in Vim, Emacs, and whatever else that's
currently supporting Python.