Redhat and Python 2.x.x

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Tue Jan 22 08:01:56 EST 2002

"Peter Hansen" <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message
news:3C4B5C7A.F9D0483B at engcorp.com...
> john doe wrote:
> >
> > My trouble is, I am using a RH 7.2 machine for learning, and since the
> > default install of Python is 1.5.2 I have been having troubles with
> > proper install of libs since I added python 2 to the mix.
> >
> > What I am trying to figure out is, how do you mix and match libraries?
Is
> > it possible? An example would be, I just installed pybber to look at and
> > I cannot get it running. I switched parts of the app to:
> >
> > #!/usr/bin/python2 so it will at least execute..
> >
> > But it still complains that libs are missing, yet when I look for the
> > libs, they are there, just installed for 1.5.2.
>
> You need separate binary libraries compiled for the appropriate
> distributions.  (And if by "libs" you mean the Python-based lib
> directory with all the .py files in it, you still need two
> separate ones installed.)

It would be useful to define some sort of "shared" area into which
modules/packages acceptable to several different distributions could be
installed once. However, extending this to mutliple versions would get
confusing: a directory for 1.5.2 and 2.0 packages, a directory for 2.0, 2.1
and 2.2 packages, etc.

regards
 Steve
--