What does Python fix?

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Jan 21 12:27:48 EST 2002

[Alex Martelli]

> class listshare:
>     def __init__(self, offset, alist):
>         self._alist = alist
>         self._offset = offset
>     def __getitem__(self, index):
>         return self._alist[index+offset]
>     # etc, etc

Clever! :-)

> In which case, you can choose to use the referenced extension (where an
> object takes, I believe, three "words" -- a type-pointer, car, and cdr).

Plus, surely, a reference count, and the overhead required by the memory
allocator.  Presumably, Python has its own allocator for small structures,
and the allocator overhead thus becomes insignificant.

> On the other hand, memory overhead for a very long Python list can be
> much lower (in the same sense, i.e., just for the structuring part)
> than an equivalently-long Lisp list, because the Python list is in
> fact implemented as a contiguous array of single pointers

I got myself into Python two years ago.  Some time before, I worked on the
prototype of the GNU music project (which, by a strange set of circumstances,
became the marvelous Lilypond -- this would be a long story).  The core
team was torn between a Lisp or Scheme implementation, C++, and others.
I finally wrote the thing in plain portable C.  Knowing I would handle many
lists, I tried a representation similar to the above, feeling a bit deviant,
but convinced there were many virtues to this approach.  So, it was part of
my pleasure, later discovering Python, to see that it made the same choices.

> I doubt that saving memory will be the dominating issue in any such
> "bigger application" -- issues of O(N) vs O(N log N) performance, and
> so on, would appear to be more likely to dominate, I think.

We should always have an idea on how resources are consumed by algorithms.
Best is to develop some background culture about how Python does things...
But yes, we agree!