Recommended Linux App Prg environment??

Donovan Rebbechi elflord at panix.com
Tue Jan 29 18:01:29 EST 2002

In article <m3g04q2iy0.fsf at chvatal.cbbrowne.com>, Christopher Browne wrote:
> philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk (phil hunt) writes:
>> On Mon, 28 Jan 2002 14:41:54 -0500, Mike Hammock <mhammoc at ibm.net> wrote:

> d) Build management tools
>
>    Make being canonical, though the (Python-related) Software
>    Carpentry project has started reaping some fruit in terms of tools
>    a bit more carefully designed than Make...
>
> e) Perhaps some portability tools
>
>    Autoconf, automake, and such may be relevant, down the road, though
>    almost certainly _not_ for a first project...

One way to look at this is that it will be painfully obvious when you do need
tools like automake and autoconf.

I think anyone who automates a build will get very sick of typing out compile
commands in very short order, so make is a must-have, but the others are just
over kills.

I still stay away from automake, because it was so much effort to get it to
do what I wanted (handle dlopen()ed modules properly) that I gave up.

--
Donovan