tkinter best widget for file editting

Matthew Dixon Cowles matt at mondoinfo.com
Wed Jan 2 22:04:09 EST 2002

On 2 Jan 2002 15:14:02 -0800, Joel Sherrill <joel at OARcorp.com> wrote:

Dear Joel,

>Hi,

Hi!

>I am writing an application where I need to let the user see and edit
>a relatively small amount of text.  It will likely be less than an
>80x24 screen.  The contents will be saved in a file.  A "notepad"
>type of widget that pops up would be ideal.  I don't seem to be
>finding anything in my search but suspect it is because I am not
>using the right words.

The Text widget might be good. There's also the standard ScrolledText
widget (which is in its own module) and Pmw's flavor. If you haven't
yet run across it, Fredrik Lundh's excellent An Introduction to
Tkinter is very useful. It's at:

http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/index.htm

I've long since save a copy locally to save Fredrik the bandwidth. And
Pmw is at:

http://pmw.sourceforge.net/

Regards,
Matt