How are exceptions actually implemented in assembly?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Jan 23 12:23:19 EST 2002

"Jason Orendorff" <jason at jorendorff.com> writes:

> Some C implementations have weird features that provide some sort of
> exception-like behavior; also the C standard provides
> setjmp()/longjmp() which is vaguely similar.  Python uses neither.

<pedant> Actually Python does use setjmp/longjmp somewhere in the
murky bowels of the interaction of readline and signals to generate
KeyboardInterrupt exceptions. </pedant> But you're basically right.

It struck me recently that most entrants to the obfuscated C
competition don't use setjmp/longjmp enough.  I'd have thought you
could make something utterly incomprehensible with judicious use of
these functions.

Cheers,
M.

--
  Unfortunately, nigh the whole world is now duped into thinking that
  silly fill-in forms on web pages is the way to do user interfaces.