[Mac OSX] Import curses error, [MacPython] simple question

Kragen Sitaker kragen at pobox.com
Mon Jan 28 19:11:03 EST 2002

Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net> writes:
> MacOS X (apparently, I have no first hand knowledge of this) comes
> with an unbelievably ancient version of the curses library.  To get
> curses running on MacOS X you first need to install a recent version
> of (n)curses, and then build Python from source.  Actually, you could
> probably just build the _curses module from source, but building all
> of the rest of Python is probably not much harder.

Unfortunately, installing a recent version of ncurses is pretty
difficult, although I can't remember the details.  (curses is included
in libSystem, which every program links with, which has something to
do with this.)  You should consider installing Linux on your Mac, and
then everything will Just Work.