Defending the Python lanuage...

dman dsh8290 at rit.edu
Thu Jan 31 20:40:55 EST 2002

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 04:03:13PM -0800, Cliff Wells wrote:

| No doubt the terms "engineer" and "science" are stretched to their limits
| in this field.  "Art" seems more appropriate, although I've seen some code
| that would defy that categorization as well.  I seem to recall a study that
| showed that language skills were a better indicator of an individual's
| potential to become proficient in programming than mathematics or
| engineering skills, so perhaps that's not surprising.

I think language and mathematics are equally important, though it
really depends on what level of development you're working in.
Certainly low-level stuff (bit twiddling and the like) requires far
more mathematics than GUI app construction.  Though I agree that
working with language is extremely important.  After all, everything
we do is in some language, whether it is English on USENET or Python
in the python interpreter or shell in a shell, it's all language.
Those able to easily pick up and understand language will be more
productive at using the right tool for the job rather than getting
stuck in a "one language fits all problems" mentality.

-D

--

There are six things the Lord hates,
    seven that are detestable to him :