new.instancemethod and new style classes

Pedro Rodriguez pedro_rodriguez at club-internet.fr
Tue Jan 22 04:39:08 EST 2002

"Mark McEahern" <mark at mceahern.com> wrote:

> The instancemethod of the new module does not work with new style
> classes:
>
>   import new
>
>   class fooOld:pass
>   class foo(object):pass
>
>   def bar(self):
>     print "foobar"
>
>   fooOld.bar = new.instancemethod(bar, None, fooOld) foo.bar =
>   new.instancemethod(bar, None, foo)
>
> The last line generates this error:
>
>   Traceback (most recent call last):
>     File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>   TypeError: instancemethod() argument 3 must be class, not type
>
> Is this by design?
>
> Thanks,
>
> // mark

It has been fixed in CVS version of newmodule.c by Guido as bug
#503091, and worked for me. So I don't think it was left out by
design. No workaround that I know unfortunately.

New style classes is such an ambitious work that there may still
be some dark corners that miss this enlightment.
So "Go Out And Get 'Em Boy!" (Tommy - The Wedding Present) ;)

Regards,
--

Pedro