Distutils prerequisites on Windows?

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Sat Jan 26 12:25:56 EST 2002

Max M wrote:

> This is GREAT news for both Zope and Python. I will immediately try it out.

Well to reply on for myself. I tried to do "Python setup.py build" and
naturally got an error because I could not build the extensions class. I
have a sneaking susicion that this is because I do not have a c compiler
installed. ;-)

So now I wonder ... What version of MS VC do I need to compile packages
with distutils for Puthon 2.1.2 or 2.2 ?? Is this the right question to
ask at all?

I cannot find anything in distutils docs. They sort of hints that a
compiler is needed and that the most painless road to travel is by MS'
compiler.

I have an old versin of VC 6.0 lying around and would naturally prefer
to use that so I can avoid spending money once more on a compiler.

Has anybody got an idea? I am not a c programmer, though I have written
a few minor things in it, so i'm pretty clueless here.

regards Max M