[NEWBIE] ftplib error?

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Wed Jan 16 08:42:26 EST 2002

"Bruce Dykes" <bkd at graphnet.com> wrote in message
> Here's my code:
>
> import ftplib
> hostname = ftplib.FTP("192.168.13.21")
> hostname.login("joeuser","mydogsname")
> hostname.cwd("$SYSTEM.DATA")    #  see below
> hostname_numbers = hostname.retrlines("GET ALARMDATA")
> hostname.quit()
> print hostname_numbers
>
> # No, really. I'm calling an ftp server on a Tandem, and that's exactly
how
> 'cd' works in a regular interactive ftp session
>
> I'm running Python 2.1 on NT 4. My code above looks amazingly similar to
all
> the ftplib examples I've seen, except that I'm using 'hostname' instead of
> 'f' (which *can't* matter...can it?), and I'm using an IP address instead
of
> a name.
>
> Here's my traceback:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\Python21\Pythonwin\pywin\framework\scriptutils.py", line 301,
in
> RunScript
>     exec codeObject in __main__.__dict__
>   File "C:\telex\ftp_test.py", line 2, in ?
>     hostname = ftplib.FTP("192.168.13.21")
>   File "c:\python21\lib\ftplib.py", line 108, in __init__
>     self.connect(host)
>   File "c:\python21\lib\ftplib.py", line 118, in connect
>     self.sock.connect((self.host, self.port))
>   File "<string>", line 1, in connect
> error: (10061, 'Connection refused')
>
> Is this an authentication failure? That shouldn't be happening because the
> interactive ftp session works just fine. Does ftplib not understand that
an
> IP address is equivalent to a name? That shouldn't be happening either.
>
> What's going on here?

Don't want to seem simple-minded, but does your interactive FTP client work
from the same machine you are running the Python script on? The error
message seems pretty unequivocal: the FTP server isn't prepared to accept
your request.

Given that you're using private IP addresses, maybe there's a firewall
component between your machine and the server that's rejectong your FTP
connection?

Otherwise, replace your host address with some known-accessible public host
and see what gives.

regards
 Steve
--