What does Python fix?

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Sat Jan 19 02:21:26 EST 2002

It is certainly true that the flouting of the norm is not a sure mark of
genius, and there are examples of great minds whose greatness is their
ability to process within the field (as Alex pointed out, Kant was
apparently an in-the-box thinker (I didn't get that from what little
I've read of him, but I've only read 20 or 30 pages and found it far too
obscured to be worth finishing)).

Coming from a background in design, I (possibly too narrowly) associate
greatness with the ability to transcend the rules, to establish new
rules.  For me, genius ("the greatest minds") is the likes of Gaudi,
Piccasso, Einstein or Ghandi, people who have introduced new ideas and
approaches from a vision of power and depth.  I wouldn't want to move to
a point where we miss those voices.  The definition of the filter is
incestuously related to the results of filtering ;) .

You raise the point of artistry (the ability to communicate precisely as
a social norm).  I will certainly grant that it is a great benefit if
one can put forward the ideas of the outsider in a format readily
accessible by the insiders.  I just want to be sure that we don't set it
as a requirement before we allow someone to speak.[*]

My comments regarding the need to avoid ossification were in reference
to the original comment by Courageous (long since dropped by the various
quote trimmings ;)
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=e33e4u4vtebc90irkkcrspot3up71vtn5j%404ax.com
) which, though possibly tounge in cheek, was rather strong-sounding for
something that (to me) is minor.  It's for that reason (and the idea
that the outsider should be ignored) that I felt it necessary to jump
in.  Had this merely been about top-posting, I would have simply
continued about my top-posting ways and ignored the whole issue :o) .

It's probably true that Arona's post (
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=mailman.1011280826.5351.python-list%40python.org)
was guilty of over-quoting (2 lines content, 27 lines quote), but the
reaction was to "yell" about, not the over-quoting, but the (to me)
rather fussy and unrelated issue of top-posting.

I suppose we've entirely exhausted any real content in this thread, so
I'll cede y'all the right to ignore me when I flout the rules and invade
the comfort space of all right-thinking peoples ;) :) .

Have fun, stay loose, remain cool, Nanoo-nanoo and enjoy yourself,
Mike

[*] I've been thinking about this issue a lot (too much?) lately in
connection with the issue of high-function autism.  It seems to me that
some of the most valuable and precious minds are those sitting just the
other side of the "normalcy" threshold which allows easy communication
and interaction.  Huge capacity for systematisation and organisation,
the ability to structure and order large numbers of seemingly disparate
ideas, and the capacity to recognise faint and almost inperceptable
patterns are powerful tools, if they can be harnessed.