A Python IDE idea - looking for input

Kevin Altis altis at semi-retired.com
Thu Jan 3 19:09:20 EST 2002

Funny you should mention such a beast. Here's where PythonCard
  http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net/
stands as of release 0.6.1

PythonCard uses wxPython 2.3.2 or higher and Python 2.0 or higher.

PythonCard includes the following runtime tools: Logging, Message Watcher,
Namespace Viewer, Property Editor, and Shell (Python interactive prompt on
steroids).

The layout editor (resourceEditor sample):
Simple, but works reasonably well under Windows. I'm currently chasing down
a mouse event bug under GTK that prevents the resizing handles from working
correctly, but you can still resize a control via the Property Editor under
GTK. A Menu Editor is included. The resourceEditor is written as a
PythonCard app with some "raw" wxPython thrown in where needed. I don't
think you need to program an IDE in C++.

Source code is still decoupled from layouts, so you can edit source in any
editor you want (vi, vim, emacs, Pythonwin, IDLE, etc.). Event handlers in
PythonCard look like:

  on_commandName_command
or
  on_widgetName_eventName

more examples...
    def on_menuFileExit_select(self, menu, event):
    def on_btnColor_mouseClick(self, target, event):
    def on_bufOff_mouseDrag(self, target, event):

So, it looks very similar to VB handler names.

The resourceEditor has a Run command so you can quickly test your layout
while still editing your source in another program.

So, what we have today is part of the puzzle of doing a full IDE for
PythonCard. We can always use more developers if you're interested.

ka

news:3c34d15e.40722565 at nntp...