Intel C/C ++ compiler for Linux for Pytrhon extension?

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Thu Jan 24 15:38:29 EST 2002

mmueller at dgfz.de (Mike Müller) writes:

> Is it possible to write Python extension with the Intel C/C++ compiler
> for Linux?
> Since it is supposed to be source and binary compatible with gcc it
> should.

I haven't tried, but I agree that it should be possible.

> If yes, are there any differences to the extension building process
> with gcc?

You may need to find out how shared libraries are build with that
compiler. GCC supports -shared as a do-everything option; Unix
compilers often use -G, but that may or may not bind the right startup
code. Also, it may be that the compiler does not support -O3.

> Later on, I plan write some code in C++ using templates. Does this
> compiler support this and can I use this C++ code in Python
> extension?

Yes, I think the compiler supports templates. When linking a C++
extension with it, make sure you link the C++ runtime libraries also.

Regards,
Martin