How easy is it to create graphical user interface with Python?

IB borovik at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 22 13:40:24 EST 2002

Hello, David:

> Have you actually ported your tkInter apps to the Mac?

Actually, not yet. The fact that Tkinter is a Python standard GUI
makes me think that porting Tkinter app to Mac should not be a big
pain.

> Do they look Mac-like?

Probably they wouldn't. They have distinct Tkinter-ish flavor.
Currently I am happy even with this Tkinter-ish look. It does not
prevent GUI from looking professionally and behaving as I want. I
figured out that later I can rewrite some of the controls using Canvas
so that they could have any look at all.

> I remember having some trouble displaying PIL images under
> tkInter but it was when I was first learning Python so it could easily
> have been operator error.

Probably you refer to the known 'extra image instance' problem: when
you make PIL image for your control, you need to keep a reference to
it outside Tkinter widget too, otherwise it will be garbage collected.

Best regards
--Igor