[Tutor] What are security holes?

dman dsh8290 at rit.edu
Sat Jan 26 14:42:31 EST 2002

On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 02:09:21PM +0100, A wrote:
| We are going to install Python on our  Linux server. Are there any
| security holes for hackers? What would  we be careful about and
| how we should set it up? Are there any guidelines for installing
| Python?

# apt-get install python2.2

:-)  (well, if by "linux" you mean the "debian" distribution)

The problem with having python is the same one you will have with
perl, sh, gcc, g++, ruby, tcl, etc.  Each of those allows a person to
instruct the computer to do something.  You certainly don't want to
make your python binary SUID root or something.

I am not aware of any "gotchas" wrt to installing python on a system.

-D

--

The heart is deceitful above all things
    and beyond cure.

I the Lord search the heart
    and examine the mind,
to reward a man according to his conduct,
    according to what his deeds deserve.

        Jeremiah 17:9-10