Help - mining secure web pages -for ligitmate use

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Mon Jan 21 22:05:05 EST 2002

In article <SZ238.7981$Qc6.2659433 at news1.rdc2.pa.home.com>,
Patrick F Harris <patrickharris5 at home.com> wrote:
>All
>
>I have a several web sites with financial I have to  'login'  in order to
>gain access. I want to login to these sites and access the data with a java
>program.
>
>I know how to use java to grab a url page,  but have no idea how to
>automatically login to a secure site and down load pages.
>
>I do not think this is illegal as I have legitimate accounts to access this
>sites, I just don't want to manual log in. I want to spool the data for
>offline analysis.
>
>Patrick

'Depends.  In general, this is a hard problem, that is,
one that only experienced people do "by hand" with rel-
ative ease.  If you're willing to pay for skilled
craftsmanship (either in cash or in waiting around here
for generousity), one of us can probably help you work
out details on your own.

NQL <URL: http://www.nqli.com/ > is one of a handful of
proprietary products that address this need.  I know of
no free software that does the job well.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net