cookies for HTTP session tracking

Richard Jones rjones at ekit-inc.com
Wed Jan 9 17:08:24 EST 2002

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 02:39, Oleg Broytmann wrote:

> > >    Why? What is wrong with living without them?
> >
> > They are (currently) the best way to implement client side state.  If
> > your client supports them and websites use them correctly, your browsing
> > experience is enhanced.  I can live without a cable modem and a nice big
> > monitor, but why would I want to? :-)
>
>    I don't know sites that use cookie "correctly"... what is "correctly"
> here? All sites I know use cookies for login and tracking.

"and tracking"?

In my last job, we used cookies to track a session. On the server side, the
session mapped to data including login, an order (it was shopping software)
and a number of other things. You just can't do that without cookies! People
mess with URLs, hit "back" buttons, bookmark things they aren't supposed to,

    Richard