Newbie needs to be set straight again ...

Kragen Sitaker kragen at pobox.com
Tue Jan 22 08:04:39 EST 2002

Jyrinx <jyrinxat at mindspringdot.com> writes:
> What's bugging me is this: Isn't *some* level of protection
> [obfuscation of compiled code to keep people from understanding it]
> reasonable?

I don't think so; I think people have a fundamental right to
understand what their machine is being told to do by your program, and
obstructing that right is immoral.  I guess it's a question of values.

> (In any case, I should think an obfuscator utility would be rather
> simple (more newbie speculation ... ); wouldn't it be worth the
> effort to write one, if only to get big, dumb companies to accept
> Python more readily, reality be damned?

I don't really care that much about whether "big, dumb companies"
accept Python, so this doesn't motivate me.  Perhaps if they care,
they (or someone trying to sell Python to them) will write such a
thing.  Maybe you could write it.  You could distribute it as
proprietary software and make a bundle, if you're right about what
"big, dumb companies" want.

> You know, just to make them feel better? At the very least, it'd be
> fun to sit back and make fun of the latest escapades from the idiots
> at the top ... )

I have different ideas of fun.