subsetting and .NET (was Re: Python and Ruby: a comparison)

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Thu Jan 3 11:01:36 EST 2002

"Edward Diener" <eldiener at earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:3C347C47.6000802 at earthlink.net...
> Alex Martelli wrote:
[ ... ]
> > I play the guru and language advisor for almost 200 professional C++
> > programmers at my current employer, and I maintain your assertion is
> > totally false.
>

> I personally don't care if you are the advisor to god himself on matters
> of C++
No, Alex doesn't advise me about C++, but he has been invaluable as a
technical editor. And that's "God" to you, by the way.

>               or if you are Bjarne Stroustrup in disguise. You are talking
> someone here who is not the least impressed by all of this "I am an
> important authority" stuff.

I am not at all impressed that you are not impressed. Alex has proved over
the years that he knows of which he writes when it comes to programming,
coffee, European history and a few other subjects besides. I suspect he was
citing his authority to try to help you understand that you were talking
rubbish, but channelling the Martellibot is usually unnecessary given the
volume of his output.

> And on that note, I will bid this discussion good=bye and seriously wish
> you the best of luck in your programming endeavors.

Aha, rational argument having failed to win your point you proceed to take
your bat home. Fortunately c.l.py has more balls than just yours, so the
game will continue without you :-)

Thank you for your contribution, and good luck.

regards
 Steve
--
http://www.holdenweb.com/