[Tutor] When you write the script how is it interpreted?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at home.com
Thu Jan 31 11:02:38 EST 2002

> "McCarney, James Alexander" wrote:
>
> > This is something I have wondered. When I write a script and Py
interprets
> > it, how does Py compile it?

>From what I know, based on postings and some reading of the source,
the interpreter uses pretty standard techniques to tokenize and parse
the code.  Nothing much to write about.  The standard CPython
interpreter then writes proprietary 'PyCode'. (It is proprietary in
the sense of being specific to the interpreter.)  The Jython
interpreter instead write JCode (or whatever the internal Java
bytecode is called).

Terry J. Reedy