Python on Tandy Model 102?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Jan 29 16:02:31 EST 2002

    >> Why doesn't Python do that?  It doesn't even build a shared library
    >> of itself by default, let alone build a tiny executable that uses it.

    Joshua> What's the point?  Any decent paging manager will only keep one
    Joshua> copy of it in RAM anyway.

Agreed.  The only situation in which a .so makes sense is if you link it
into multiple applications and run them at the same time.  That's why it's a
win for libc to be a shared library.  I expect on 99% of the machines with
Python available, the only application they run that needs Python's
functionality is Python itself.  Of course, that may change over time as
more applications realize how kewl Python is as an extension language, but
it's not true today.

--
Skip Montanaro (skip at pobox.com - http://www.mojam.com/)