JavaScript considered harmful

Chris Liechti cliechti at gmx.net
Tue Jan 8 16:24:53 EST 2002

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters <mertz at gnosis.cx> wrote in
news:mailman.1010517373.24701.python-list at python.org:
> "Steve Holden" <sholden at holdenweb.com> wrote:
>|The REAL problem is with browsers that cheerfully respond with cookies
>|to servers other than the source of the HTML page they are currently
>|rendering. If every browser would allow this behavior to be switched
>|off (and had it switched off by default) then the "1-pixel camera"
>|trick would be a spent force and we could all stop having these
>|discussions.
>
> Actually, the 1-pixel camera problem exists even with cookies
> completely disabled.  It's tricky to prevent the undesired leaking of
> information on browsing habits to insidious marketters like
> doubleclick.

[snipped intersting stuff]

what i do not like is HTML mail with external links... this way the 1 pixel
(or larger) image can be used to identify you by email address. (and get
your mail on the "verified" lists)

a filtering proxy does help agains some of the collectors but there are
just too many out there.

any real solutions availble?

--
Chris <cliechti at gmx.net>