swig/sip/boost.python/cxx advice?

Fernando Pérez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 1 07:34:21 EST 2002

Hi all,

I've done lightweight/easy things with C/python using swig, but in the near
future I may need to write some more complex extensions, possibly in C++. So
I'd like to hear from anyone with experience with the various tools out there
on their pros, cons, comparisons, etc.

To my knowledge, we have Swig, Sip, Cxx and Boost.python. If there are
others, feel free to include them in the discussion.

I'm aware of some of their differences and I've read their various
documentations in more or less detail, but I have so little experience with
them that I don't feel qualified to make an intelligent decision.

I'm deliberately not giving my specific needs because I'd like to hear
general comments on all aspects of these tools, including those not relevant
to the project I have in mind right now (both because I may need them later
for different things and for the benefit of others).

Thanks to all,

Fernando.