just another Tkinter installation problem

Heiko Wolf heiko.wolf at dlr.de
Tue Jan 29 09:28:57 EST 2002

Hi there,

I know there are thousands of postings about this topic (I already
read a lot), but they couldn't solve my problem... I hope that the
people at comp.lang.python don't mind that I just post it ;)

I'm using Python2.2 on Solaris 2.7... Now I wanted to add a small GUI
to my prog, using Tkinter... Now I was told: if you want to use
Tkinter, you'll need Tcl/Tk.
So now I downloaded Tcl8.3.3 and Tk8.3.3. I installed everything that
way:

for Python:
configure --prefix=/home/myhome/python

then Tcl:
configure --prefix=/home/myhome/tcl-tk
make
make install

Tk:
configure --prefix=/home/myhome/tcl-tk
--with-tcl=/home/myhome/tcl_inst_dir/unix
make
make install

no problems so far... Next step is editing the file "setup" in the
Modules-subdirectory.. I simply changed the pathes there to the Tcl
and Tk directory, I also did the other things recommended.

but now when I want to do (again for Python):
make
I get the following message:

ranlib libpython2.2.a
gcc   -o python \
                Modules/python.o \
                libpython2.2.a -lsocket -lnsl -ldl  -lpthread -lthread
  -lm
init_tkinter                        libpython2.2.a(config.o)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to python
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `python'

Now, I tried to install again, but it ended up the same way.. Did I
forget any important option at "configure" or something? I have to
install all the files local, cause I've no rights on this system...
Thanks in advance...

Cheers, Heiko