[Jython/Java] Which books, which IDEs, which other tools?

pirx at mail.com pirx at mail.com
Thu Jan 24 15:55:41 EST 2002

Reading this thread I started to wonder

1. There is this nice IDE shell called NetBeans (www.netbeans.org). It is
OpenSource, in Java and it also doubles as very, very neat Java programming
environment. It also has (free) plug-ins for XML development and some
others.It has scores of contributors, too. Now, there are two things

2. Is there anybody out there thinking about integrating Jython with it?
seems like a dream environment - one can build on top of already well tested
and tried IDE, so this is an integration cost mostly. And one gets for free
close connection to all these other stuff [Sun sells C++ and FORTRAN on the
same codebase...]

3. Is Netbeans something that could help standard Python? Giving it platform
independence through its Java base? Now, I realize that there is Komodo and
several other IDEs - very good in their own right. It seems though that
Netbeans has many more contributors and overall perspective of lower
engineering/complexity costs.

4. I don't want to create an impression that NetBeans is the only way to go
in this space. IBMs Open Source Eclipse project (www.eclipse.org) is in the
same space as NetBeans. The project is very young yet so we will have to
wait and see which way it will go. But overall it seems to me that in a few
years we will have most IDEs based on one of three standards: VS/.NET,
NetBeans, Eclipse - from economic/engineering/complexity necessity. Python
will probably be gently pushed that way anyway.

"Erik Heneryd" <erik at pythonware.com> wrote in message
> 1) Which IDEs are out there for Jython?  Which one do you use?

PythonWorks 1.3 supports Jython. You can write, run, debug etc
your Jython code just like ordinary CPython.

Erik Heneryd
Secret Labs