Recommended Linux App Prg environment??

phil hunt philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Jan 28 17:40:37 EST 2002

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002 14:41:54 -0500, Mike Hammock <mhammoc at ibm.net> wrote:
>This looks like a good place to ask a question that will probably cause
>a bit of 'discussion'.
>What is the "best" Application programming environment (IDE) for general
>Linux application programming??   I realize "best" is very relative,

Indeed so.

>so let me give some some factors to consider:
>
>- Programs will be reasonably simple, with probably a couple of user
>interface
>   panels (GUI) and possibly communicate with another system via TCP/IP
>Sockets.
>   (No major DB functions expected to be required).
>- No Heavy graphical or audio requirements (not a 'game' type app)
>- Don't anticipate any need for Web access or delivery.
>- "Visual" development would be nice, but not necessary.
>- KDE or Gnome target

Python is pretty good for what you are looking for, if blinding speed
isn't necessary. (If it is necessary, choose C or C++).

Python has GTK and KDE support, as well as other widget sets such as
Tk and wxWindows.

Python also has extensive libraries for sockets and other aspects of
networking.

>- My Background:
>   - Have programmed (system and Apps) on mainframes and PCs using
>     Fortran, COBOL, PL/1, Assembler (several machines), Pascal, C,
>     REXX, BASIC (normal and Visual) and APL (long time ago).
>     (I've looked at/played with C++ and Java, but I think I'm getting
>     too old to get into OO).

If you want to do GUI programming, you pretty much have yto learn OO
to some extent. KDE apps are written natively in C++, and there are
ports to other OO languages like Python.

GTK is written in C, but in a way that uses lots of OO concepts.

>   - I'm getting pretty good at learning new languages/tools, but the
>     less new
>     'stuff' I have to learn, the better.

If you want stuff you are familiar with, C is very important language
for Linux and Unix systems.

>- Free or inexpensive would be nice, but willing to pay for productivity
>   if a tool/system really delivers it.

The stuff you can get for free is good quality, so I see little point
in paying for it.

>So, what do you think??   What what should I be looking at??

I personally use Python for pretty much everything, it's my default
language these days.

<http://www.python.org/> for details.

--
===== Philip Hunt ===== philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk =====
* strong public-key email encryption  * automatically decrypt incoming mail