xmlrpclib and mx.DateTime

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Wed Jan 30 20:26:25 EST 2002

Chuck wrote:
> Next, xmlrpclib.py complained about None (I'm sending over a dict of
> information with various contents). So I put that in.
>
> Now it complains that my longs are too big.
>
> At this point I've decided XML-RPC is not for me. I'll enhance Webware
> to include a PickleRPCServlet to complement it's existing
XMLRPCServlet.

> Those wanting something Pythonic can use the former, and those wanting
> XML-RPC compliance can use the latter.

I'm not sure what you were expecting here. The XML-RPC spec has a list
of supported types (http://www.xmlrpc.com/spec) and there is no obvious
mapping between Python longs and None to those types.

You should probably look at the spec first and then figure out what
types you want to use. And consider the pain that will be involved for
users of other languages. For example, how is the C/Perl/PHP user
supposed to deal with a 500 digit integer? If you expect the value to be
opaque, just pass/return it as a string.

Cheers,
Brian