PIL and Python 2.2

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Thu Jan 10 10:05:05 EST 2002

Gerhard =?iso-8859-15?Q?H=E4ring?= <gh_pythonlist at gmx.de> writes:
> My copy of 1.1.2 still uses the AFAIK long-deprecated Makefile.pre.in build
> approach instead of distutils. At least in my FreeBSD port of Python 2.2, there
> is no Makefile.pre.in any longer.
>
> Has anybody built a patch yet to use distutils instead?

If you grab the full Distutils distribution from
http://www.python.org/sigs/distutils-sig/, there's a pil_setup.py in
the examples/ subdirectory.  It's a bit elderly, though, and may not
be up-to-date for the current PIL code.  Please let me know if you run
into any problems with it, or have to make any changes to get it to
work.

--amk